Phil Penner 1979 - 2008

Our good friend Matt Penner's brother, Phil went home to be with the Lord last week following complications from Dengue fever. He was 29 years old. Phil was a "m" in a country we cannot mention (for the safety of his family and other "m's" serving there) with his wife, Esther and their 2 1/2 year-old daughter. Esther found the following writing of Phil's in their home:

WHAT IS GOD MOST CONCERNED WITH?
His concern is not that I am popular or likable.
Noah was the laughingstock of the community when he was building the ark.
His concern is not with my health.
He took away Job’s and gave it back when he saw fit.
His concern is not to keep me at home.
He asked Abraham to leave for the unknown.
His concern is not that I understand his plan.
Against all logic, Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son, the long awaited fulfillment of God’s promise.
His concern is not that my life be "fair."
Joseph was thrown in a well, sold to slavery, and then imprisoned for a false accusation.
His concern is not with my abilities and talents.
He used a scared man with a speech impediment to be His spokesman to Egypt.
His concern is not that I feel good about myself or see the fruit of my labor.
Moses never saw the promise land.
His concern is not with my interests.
Jonah was sent to do what he didn’t want to do in a place he didn’t want to go.
His concern is not that I have friends.
David felt as though all his friends had betrayed him.
His concern is not my dignity.
Jeremiah had to run around naked.
His concern is not first for my family.
Ezekiel’s wife was taken from him.
His concern is not for my comfort.
He had Jeremiah lie on his side for over a year.
His concern is not that I become wealthy.
Jesus asked the rich man to give it all up.
His concern is not with my plans and schedule.
Lazarus was not healed when his family asked, but Jesus let him die to raise him later.
His concern is not for me to have a restful retirement.
Paul spent his last years in prison.
His concern is not for my safety.
Stephen, among others, was killed.
His concern is not that I have an easy life.
Paul was stoned, shipwrecked, hungry, sleepless, beaten and imprisoned.
God loves us and really does care about every aspect of our lives. But He has one main concern.
His concern is that we glorify Him as God give him his rightful place in our lives. For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever!


Please pray for his wife Esther and for our friends Matt and Angie Penner and their family. This has been exceptionally difficult and yet they can see God at work through it all. Phil was an incredible man of God who impacted many lives in his short 29 years.

0 comments: