A Blessed Weekend

Saturday afternoon I went out running and on the way back noticed that my neighbor and some other guys were hanging out on the front steps of their house. I decided to join them... I went over and started a conversation and before I knew it I was talking to him (Carlos), his brother Randall, his cousin Edgar, his sister-in-law and 4 of their sons...plus an occasional visitor here and there. I shared my testimony... why we are in Costa Rica, what we went through in order to get here and what we are going to be doing in Guatemala. They asked me many questions and I answered them to the best of my ability in spanish. My sons noticed me, from across the street, and Carlos asked if they could come and play with his sons (same ages). They came over and almost immediately they were all running around with nerf guns and playing like they had known each other for years! Carlos' wife told me I looked hungry and fed me dinner and then Mary headed over to visit as well. We were there most of the night. Carlos shared with me that he had been raised by his mother who was a Christian but had not followed Christ. He works as a liquor salesman and felt that his work was "no muy cristiano". He said that he felt that God brought us across the street to lead him to "change". Towards the end of our time together I asked him if he would please accompany us to church. He said that they would join us.

The next morning we all (including some of his brother's sons) headed to our church "El Lugar" (the place... an evangelical church). Upon arriving there we were all surprised to discover (including Carlos) that many of his extended family attended... and one other interesting note: His neice's husband is our pastor! Our pastor seemed surprised and overjoyed that Carlos was there with his family and gave him a special welcome from the pulpit (having him stand and welcoming them personally). The message was beautiful, something Mary and I had prayed earnestly for that morning, and focused on Satan's methods of operation and our need to examine our hearts and our fruits. After the service, many people were coming up to Carlos and his family and hugging him and expressing their extreme pleasure that he was there.

After church we had them over for a barbecue (on their grill) and talked more about each others lives, ate mucho and watched our kids enjoying each other. We also watched the end of the Saprissa game. Saprissa won 5 - 0. God is good.


Jessica y Carlos
Carlos' brother Randal y his wife Jessenia
The kids all hanging out

Sergio. This is their "blessing". He was hospitalized for the first year of his life and was not expected to live for more than a week or so... or ever walk. He now walks and is healthy.

0 comments: