1/3rd Complete

Mary and I had our final exams of the Trimester this afternoon and could not be more relieved that our first 1/3rd of language school is complete! We have 2 more days, mostly practice and a few fiestas and then we will enjoy a week and a half break! I can hardly believe we've been here for 4 months now and are all settled in this completely different culture! The last few weeks has been difficult for us and we're really looking forward to a little rest. Where are we at after 4 months? I am truly amazed at how much we have learned. This afternoon I walked into a shoe-store and asked for "indoor soccer sneakers in size 6 U.S. size " that "weren't to expensive" and then even negotiated a 20% discount. I even understood when the clerk asked me if I wanted the shoebox or not and that the sneakers came with a guarantee! We have now completed present, past perfect and past imperfect tenses and move on to the subjunctive and conditional tenses next trimester, the heart of the language. I am still at the point where there are many words I just do not know, so it can be frustrating to express myself. I find myself beating around the bush alot.

This weekend we travel to the rain forest to stay at a missionary retreat home for 4 days of rest. It is set on 35 acres and has its own trails, streams and lots of wildlife. The kids are very excited to get out of the city for a bit. (us too!) It still takes some getting used to living in the city. Mary will leave for Maine as soon as we return and is looking forward to visiting her Mom, family and some firends.

1 comments:

Jess Marie April 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Congratulations! Great job! This 4 months has flown by. I can hardly believe it. I will continue to pray for your family! Love you guys.

Oh yeh, Today when I went to pick up Avery, Brody ran up and gave me the HUGEST hug. It made me feel so special. And then all the other kids followed him and they gave me hugs too. What a sweety!